Hi John:

I re-read my message in light of your note.  It is inaccurate to suggest
that my message contained the reasoning you imply.  Obviously, a town should
never hold back information from its citizens (and noncitizens) regarding
tax options or any other matter of public record.  But that is not the issue
here. The issue is first, whether towns are legally required to provide such
notice in BCA decisions. Second, if there is no legal requirement to do so,
whether Towns should include such notice in BCA decisions anyway.

A BCA decision simply does not threaten to deprive the recipient of a
property right.  Therefore, the due process issues that were addressed in
the Blanchard case do not apply and BCA notices do not need to include
abatement information.

Should Towns include the information anyway?  They certainly can if they
wish.  But at best, they would be performing an empty service for the
recipient.  As I pointed out in my previous note, many BCA decisions are
rendered before the Town has issued tax bills. Informing a recipient of
his/her right to seek abatement on a liability that has not attached is
illogical.  The taxpayer couldn't act on the notice until after the tax bill
issued.  A notice which essentially tells recipients, 'don't forget,
somewhere down the line you may want to seek abatement' is, frankly, inane.

As you're probably aware, the abatement statute (24 VSA 1535) is extremely
narrow in scope.  The Board of Abatement may abate taxes in the following
cases and NO others: (1) taxpayer died insolvent, (2) taxpayer was removed
from the state, (3) taxpayer is unable to pay his/her taxes, (4) taxes
contain manifest error or mistake, (5) taxed property was destroyed or lost,
(6) taxpayer who is eligible for the Veteran's exemption missed the deadline
on that exemption, (7) the tax is a use change tax and taxpayer is an apple
farmer enrolled in current use who had to sell off some of his farm to keep
the remainder of the farm solvent, and (8) the tax is a use change tax and
taxpayer is subject to the tax because of the death or permanent physical
incapacity of the farmer.

I am willing to wager that there are very few taxpayers in any given town
who could meet the jurisdictional requirements of the Board of Abatement.
Notwithstanding one's expertise at wordsmithing, including notice of
abatement rights in BCA decisions is more likely to raise false expectations
among taxpayers than provide meaningful notice to persons who could benefit
from section 1535.  If a Town wishes to provide meaningful notice, it ought
to find a meaningful vehicle for providing the notice.  BCA decisions are
not the correct vehicle.

Charles Merriman