        In reference to the two signatures on the Town checking account. If a
selectperson is one of the other signatures, take a look at Title 24
Section 1576. The selectboard authorizes the orders or warrants to be drawn
on the Town Treasury and the Treasurer shall pay the orders.
        If one would look at Title 17 Section 2647 - incompatible offices, in part
- it states 'a selectman (person) shall not be Town Treasurer'. I would
think this would exclude the selectboard members from being able to sign on
the town accounts.
        I would refer to Title 24 Section 1573 as to the appointment of an
assistance treasurer. I believe every Town Treasurer should appoint a
person as an assistant. I do not believe this person needs to sign checks
as a cosigner on each check, but should be kept aware of the procedures in
the Treasurer's Office.  John P. Cushing