Peter Salts [[log in to unmask]] writes:

>Great writeup and pictures.  Makes me wanna go right now!

Thanks! (Me too!)

>Question - should Tucks be left to the experts to ski or is it OK for those
less
>skilled assuming he/she takes all the requisite precautions?

You don't have to be an expert to go there and have fun, but do keep your
eye on the danger zone (what's about to fall on you, not what you might fall
on) and be conservative about skiing within your limits. Most intermediate
or even advanced skiers aren't going to do very well going above the
headwall under any conditions, but don't' feel you need to- hike the
headwall in the bowl until it's about as steep as your stomach can stand,
then ski- repeat... Your initial runs might be pretty short, but with time
your techniques for steeps will develop.

I made a laundry-list of things to keep in mind while skiing Tuckerman,
linked at the bottom of the story page.  It's not the 10 commandments or
"The Gospel According to Dana" or anything, rather a checklist to give
backcountry newbies a headsup as to what they might be in for. It can be
found at:

http://www.telemarktips.com/TucksInfo.html

dana

_____________ ________ __