On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:38:27 -0400, John Winder <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Now that we have several people on the list, let me submit two basic
>questions for you to consider.
>
>1) What is (are) the most limiting factor(s) to the success of the beef
>industry in the state?  By "most limiting" I mean things that keep the
>industry from reaching its collective goals.
>
>2)  What is (are) the most limiting factor(s) to you as an individual
>producer?   What are the most critical factors that keep you as producers
>from reaching your goals?

John,
It was a pleasure meeting you at the grass short course in September.
expansion of the beef industry in Vermont, is the same as in other states.
We as an industry are individualists to the extreme. We have a hard time
accepting a collective effort and continue to want to go it alone. We might
socialize in the company of other beef people, but we don't want anyone
interfering with our business. In this we create a dilemma, too proud to
accept the advice or help of others, even if it costs us our business.
     I think that we need to address this before any cooperative effort
will be achieved.
     I have worked closely with cooperatives in the past and they do work,
from marketing associations to giants like Farmland Industries. At this
point in time, our greatest asset is our collective strength in numbers. In-
order to make our voice heard, we have to be firmly committed to the
industry, with everone taking part.
     I have been in Vermont for one year now and am amazed by the culture,
the people and most of all, with the grass. With grazing like this there
isn't any reason we can't build a leading beef industry.
     Thanks for putting this together.
Monty