From: Iryna Berezovska [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 6:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ?Language barrier and basics in searching MEDLINE

Hello,

I am a visiting scholar from Ukraine. I am working on developing library
users educational programs related to key database searching skills for
Ukrainian health professionals. My audience has some special features:
- language barrier;
- most users lack basic skills in using a computer;
- a literal translation from the native language causes the end-user to
substitute commonly used terms that give a null result;
- they prefer textword searching rather than controlled-vocabulary
searching since they don't perfectly understand MeSH and the "mapping"
feature.

Please email me if you have any suggestions or materials I would be able to
use in my work.

Thank you,

Iryna Berezovska
School of Library & Information Science