I can sympathize with Joy's frustrations about PubMed.    Every day I
keep thinking of Herb White's controversial article about 7 years ago in
American Libraries or Library Journal about librarians becoming "drawers
of water and hewers of wood".   Most days anymore, thats EXACTLY what i
feel like... a cog in a vast machine run by economic forces beyond my
control.   To be honest with everyone, I don't like what the Hospital
Librarian profession has become for me.   The pep talks of local and
national librarian's meetings do not carry me through the day to day
frustrations of dealing with increased expectations of technology, and
dwindling support for my institution's library among the medical staff,
because they seem to be perfectly happy with what they are getting from
the Internet.

I don't know where this is all heading for the average community
hospital librarian; but I do not blame NLM or anyone else in my
profession for what is changing.   The world is a changing folks, and
despite our clawing for recognition,  we just aren't getting it and the
information world is bypassing us right to the desktops of physicians
and nurses, and anyone else.  The economics of having a collection in a
hospital and paying a librarian a decent wage with opportunity for
growth just isn't sustainable in the economic world of reduced Medicare
and Medicaid reimbursements.  I haven't had a medical staff donation for
two years, and the chief of Medical staff doesn't return my phone calls
or written letters, or respond to calls from my VP.  There hasn't been a
library committee meeting in over a year; and even then few people
showed.  There may be a future for health science librarians, but I
don't think its in a hospital my size.

Paul Blobaum    [log in to unmask]
Medical Librarian, Lloyd W. Jessen Health Science Library
Silver Cross Hospital, Joliet IL  60432