From: T. Scott Plutchak [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2000 10:14 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: New York Times E-Commerce today

I'd recommend reading the article first and then deciding what you're going
to put in the letter.  Dr. Zuger's piece is well-written, factually accurate
and makes a number of important points that we have been at pains to express
to our patrons for several years:

1) The remark about "trudging to the library" is in the context of searching
NLM's "invaluable site" and she's emphasizing that there is very little
full-text yet available on NLM's site.  She makes the further important
point that doctors should not make decisions based on reading only the
abstract.

2) She goes on to say that more and more journals are putting their content
up, and that while some of it is free, much of it is not and it requires a
library to subscribe to make it available.

In other words, the point of her article seems to be "It's not all on the
Internet and it's not all free!"  Who can argue with that?

T. Scott Plutchak
Director, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham