> Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it quite a bit cheaper and less
> maintenance than a "real" sailboat?  Something about a hole in the water
> that you pour money into?

Well, take it from someone who has windsurfed (still does occasionally, but
the wind down here totally "blows" - or, more correctly, doesn't), and owned
a 20' O'Day, a 25' Hunter, and a 34' Hunter.  The 34?  No question.  The
25'?  Surprisingly close.  The 20?  Windsurfing was *way* more expensive
than the purchase, summer dock rental and maintenance of this boat - and I
bought it with motor and trailer, too.  Despite its short hull length, this
thing was big enough to sleep 4 - OK, 4 *very* close friends.

Purchased new, boards will run you $1000+ each, and you need at a minimum 2:
a floaty longboard for those all-too-frequent light wind summer days, and a
short board for decent wind.  Add at least 4 sails of different sizes at
$700 each.  Add a shorty wetsuit and a full wetsuit, total $200 for both.
Add a drysuit if you value comfort in the NE as much as I do: $400.  Fins?
$75 each, minimum about 3 or 4.  Mast bases, tools, shoes, gloves, helmet,
etc., etc., etc.  The bill adds up.
Marc Guido, Editor & Publisher
First Tracks!! Online Ski Magazine
http://www.FirstTracksOnline.com