    I had an overnight experiment on Tuesday, so I decided to sleep in
and get some turns in the afternoon at the 'bush on Wednesday.  This
latest nor'easter was supposed to be finishing up just about then and I
figured the snow would still be good.  At around 1:00 P.M. I left the
Champlain Valley and headed towards the Appalachian Gap.  In Shelburne,
the snow had totally shut down, and I contemplated if 4-6 inches of new
snow was even worth heading out for an hour.  I did need to get into
work and finish up some things.  I decided on an approach that I've used
many times before:  I'm going to start driving in the direction of the
mountain, and see what my gut says as I start on the way.  As I
approached Hinesburg, I was about 75% convinced to just head in to work,
and I looked out at the mountains.  There was a wall of white and it
looked like it was still really dumping, my mind had been made up.
    Snow started to fall again lightly as I hit Huntington, and by the
time I got to the western side of the App Gap, it was hammering down.
Although the road was full of snow, the drive was a lot of fun.  The guy
behind me in some sort of blazer was a bit pushy, and I had to laugh a
bit as he horsed it too hard on one of the corners and sent himself into
the snowbank (quickly removed himself).  As we approached the top of the
gap, it was a full blow blizzard, and I caught up to an old yellow
4-wheel drive vehicle that seemed to be taking it slow and driving
appropriately.  No sooner had we started down the other side than he
came up to quickly on one of the snow removal trucks, and the yellow
vehicle had to ditch it into the snowbank.  He looked pretty stuck, and
as I briefly thought about stopping to make sure everything was OK, here
comes blazer Joe on my tail again.  I decided that the situation wasn't
serious enough that I should risk taking a blazer in the rear end, so I
continued on down.
    Ahh, now for the skiing.  I had limited time, so I headed up the
Gate House Quad and did a run down the liftline.  Everything was pretty
tracked out (and PACKED out), some fresh on the edges, but certainly you
hit the hard stuff underneath at times.  I then went all the way to the
top and hit North Lynx.  I skied Birch Run and found similar packed out
/ tracked out conditions with hard stuff underneath.  For the bottom
half of the run, I decided to take some untraveled stuff.  I hooked left
onto Pushover Chute and found better snow, but not yet good enough.  So,
I turned right, into the woods, to check them out.  The woods had great
snow, a foot (the combination of Sunday / Tuesday) of powder over the
firm base.  The foot was enough to keep me floating in these woods, so
no hitting bottom even, it was great!   I worked my way through the
woods, and found myself on Slowpoke, which is very lightly traveled and
had nice snow.  I caught untracked down the skier's right and came out
smiling.  For my final run I headed up the Super Bravo and swung over to
Snowball.  It was very tracked out and nothing spectacular.  The had the
guns going on the next section of Snowball so I was forced down Spring
Fling.  Conditions here were nothing special either.  I found a few
untracked section on the skier's left, but it had been picked pretty
clean.  That was it for me and it was off to work.  Another storm is
scheduled for Friday, which should give a nice shot to the holiday week.

J.Spin