Antoine
Years ago Hal Krueger did an experiment in which he soaked
bones in a highly enriched (13C enriched) synthetic groundwater
solution. The same paper also reports a 'natural' experiment in which
he measured mastodon teeth after 10 000 years under the sea. He
did not check structural changes.  The reference: Krueger, H. (1991)
Exchange of carbon with biological apatite. J. archaeol. Sci. 18,
355-361.
I've done some 'natural' experiments analysing time series of
bones and enamel of animals with predictable d13C from sites with
isotopically different matrices, including seawater (due out in a
very tardy book). Mat Sponheimer did a couple of lab experiments on
tooth enamel changes including isotopes in carbonate & FTIR in his
PhD.
I suggest that you control for moisture in your experiments.

Julia Lee-Thorp
Associate Professor
Faculty of Science
University of Cape Town