From:   Stable Isotope Geochemistry [mailto:[log in to unmask]]  On
Behalf Of Peter Vervloedt
Sent:   Wednesday, January 24, 2001 2:42 PM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        13C analysis on samples with high S-content

Dear Listmembers,

I need some help on the following:

We extracted soils with K2SO4 (0,125M, 50mL), and then freeze dried those
samples in tin cups. It was the first time we used this technique and didn't
realise the danger.

Apparantly the very high sulfur-content in the cups causes serious
contamination of the GC (we use Anca-SL), when measuring the samples for
13C.

Are there any of you that have experienced the same problem? Is there a way
to modify the equipment (to scrub out the sulfur), or is there another way
to get rid of the sulfur?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,

Peter

---
Peter Vervloedt
Laboratory Of Applied Physical Chemistry
Ghent University
Coupure 653
9000 Gent

tel.: +32 9 264 6000