>>I have not been there but the Scottish Highlands present better
>>opportunities with bigger vertical and a lot more snow.  In ~ 93-94 they
>>had an epic year with snow lasting until July.  The Scottish mountains too
>>are rugged and glacial and are in fact are one of the cradles of modern
>>mountaineering, along with the Alps and the Canadian Rockies & Selkirks.

I'm actually off to ski in Scotland this weekend but though there were
massive ammouns of snow in Glasgow and Edinburgh the highlands only got a
few inches. It seems like skiing in Scotland makes the Northeast freeze and
thaw cycle seem like the Wasatch.  I will be able to ski but the very
accessible back country will have to wait for my next visit. (somewhat
similar to the lack of snow at the telemark festival last march which is
chronicled in
http://www.FirstTracksOnline.com/