Skip, you may want to skip to the next post, this won't be so pretty.

i went to the Stack on saturday in the expectation that Mt. snow would be
mobbed - I am not a fan of cascading down an icy slope with 10,000 of my
closest friends.  I also hoped tha the snow surfaces would be fresh due to
the fact that Haystack is not open very often (weekends and holidays only
now) and they apparently get little traffic when they are open.  While it
was uncrowded as hoped, the skiing itself left MUCH to be desired.  The
mountain is set up a little kooky.  They advertise 1400 verts, but that's
just nonsense, as the bottom 200-300 feet are taken up by the upper base
area and beginner slope.  the real mountainis only about 1100 verts.  As
far as I can tell, the base area is served by a triple chair to the summit
and another triple which makes it 2/3 of the way up.  There is also another
triple in the "Witches" expert area, which I think was the last bit of the
mountain to be developed in the mid-80's before being acquired by Mt. Snow.
We were looking for some challenge so we headed to the Witches chair.  I
have to say, I have never seen such a comical farse as the expert rating
for any of Haystack's trails.  There were one or two semi-steep pitches in
the Witches area, but that's it.  when I say semi-steep, I'm talking about
as steep as the tamer stuff on the North Face on Mt. Snow, itself already
in the overated trail designation hall of fame.  That chiar served about 6
verts of uninspiring terrain.  Worse, the hoped for snow quality just
wasn't there.  ASVC has blown really bad snow at the stack, and conditions
were pretty much boilerplate to start the day.  The steeper section on the
Witches liftline at the bottom was especially tricky with radically
different snow surfaces  - boilerplate, sugar, death cookies - all within a
ski length.  The rest of the mountain was even flatter.  They had blown
just enough snow to open a few runs down the main mountain, but there was
really nothing of interest.  This was the smallest sking 1100 foot mountain
I have ever seen.  The trail layout is strange and it is dificult to get to
the skier's right side of the main mountain.  There is no challenge.  They
blow miminal amounts of snow, and what they do make is really poor quality,
IMHO.

On the other hand, the $36 ticket, spacious lodge and friendly staff were a
plus.  Now that thereis some snow, they may have some more options, but
they were all roped off the day I was there (not that those ropes stopped
us mind you).

In sum, I'm a seller on Haystack.  I don't really see that it has anything
o grand interest.  If ASC's intent was ot make it into a family skiing
area, then maybe that will work 0 it's small, flat, and comfortable.  But
it has absolutely nothing for serious skiers.  I'd rather save the extra
hour and head to Jiminy instead.

Hope this helps.

Jay Pesci <[log in to unmask]>@LIST.UVM.EDU> on 01/03/2001 04:30:13 PM

Please respond to Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports

Sent by:  Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports <[log in to unmask]>