Bruce,

Thanks for this story.  I greatly enjoy tales of skiing in distant and
unlikely places.  I visited the Wicklow Mountains on a 25th anniversary
trip in '94.  I couldn't look at them without thinking of skiing.  Though
smaller and tamer, they evoke the Presidentials, with obvious glacially
carved U shaped valleys.  The Wicklows are pretty much treeless and
hauntingly similar to the Presidentials above timberline.  Like all such
terrain there are good steeps and it would be heaven with about 4 feet of
powder, which they probably never get.

I have not been there but the Scottish Highlands present better
opportunities with bigger vertical and a lot more snow.  In ~ 93-94 they
had an epic year with snow lasting until July.  The Scottish mountains too
are rugged and glacial and are in fact are one of the cradles of modern
mountaineering, along with the Alps and the Canadian Rockies & Selkirks.

The Appalachians were upthrusted the last time the European, African and
North American plates collided.  We normally think of the Appalachians
ending with the Gaspe but the mountains of Ireland, Scotland, midlands of
England and the Harz Mountains of Germany are part of the original chain.
Glaciers were active in Ireland and Scotland within the last 12,000 years
or so, just like the Presidentials.  To be great skiing, mountains don't
have to be young, if they have been recently worked by glaciers.