I am not likely the one to provide answers about racing skis.  As I freely admit, I really know little about different equipment.  This is the first season ever that I have had more than one pair of working skis in my stable.  Last year, in about early November, I purchased some new boots at the Alpine Shop.  I told the sales guy that I was on patrol at Jay Peak.  He asked me what type of skis I owned and I drew a mind blank.  Honestly, I told him "I think they start with an 'S' "  It is nice, however, to have two pairs.  This way, when I'm assigned a trail like Green Beret for morning sweep, I can use
my junk skis.  After morning sweep, I can put my water skis back on, then change again before afternoon sweep.  Isn't materialism great!

Pete