I find it disheartening that the media seems to focus on librarians
only to exploit and further ingrain the stereotype of the 'shy
hair-in-the-bun type' suddenly turning into a femme fatale.  I find
the objectification of women in general in this instance patently
reprehensible...   Not the mention its focus on 'librarian as female,'
which is also a stereotype.

Such programs make us visible only in the most damaging of ways.  I
believe they add to the public's perception that we are not
professionals.  Do you see doctors, lawyers, IT people, or CPAs
engaging in the denigration of their own professional standing?  Why
do we?

Donna Beales
Lowell General Hospital
Health Science Library
Lowell, MA
(978) 937-6247
FAX (978) 937-6855
http://lowellgeneral.library.net

<< did anyone catch the segment on Inside Edition last night about the
Seattle public librarian and the Las Vegas showgirl changing places
for a day?
the show girl, who was shelving books, did admit that it was hard
physical labor - she wished she had a gopher to push the bookcart for
her.
part 2 is tonight - teasers showed the show girl at the computer and
the librarian was preparing for her night onstage.>>