The Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library, http://www.library.tmc.edu/, serves as the Regional Medical Library for the National Network of Libraries of Medicine South Central Region (NN/LM SCR), http://www.nnlm.nlm.nih.gov/scr/ States served by the NN/LM SCR include Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.
The Outreach Coordinator is responsible for identifying unaffiliated, underserved, and minority health care and information professionals in the South Central Region (SCR); implementing, and working with Network members to implement outreach efforts to serve the SCR; monitoring outreach subcontracts; and assisting with grant applications. This individual will maintain awareness of regional and local trends in health care and library associations; and identify and develop additional outreach opportunities under the direction of the Associate Director.
The Outreach Coordinator reports to the NN/LM SCR Associate Director.
* Plan and coordinate all programs and activities related to outreach programs under the direction of the Associate Director
• Identify unaffiliated, underserved, and minority health professionals
• Organize and monitor regional outreach projects
• Assist in the development of outreach subcontracts
• Review quarterly reports and develop evaluation mechanisms for quarterly reports
• Communicate with outreach subcontractors regarding projects
• Maintain files on outreach projects
• Implement and monitor Library Improvement Site projects
• Coordinate and make site visits to outreach project sites and to other Network members
• Monitor HIV/AIDS, Native American, and Indian Health Service projects
• Organize and lead two Outreach Committee meetings per year
• Develop and teach grant writing materials, packets, classes, etc.
• Develop and maintain grant mentors
• Provide assistance with grant applications
• Assist in reviewing proposals, as applicable
• Maintain NN/LM SCR Councils
• Serve as liaison to the Council of Health Professionals
• Monitor consortia, and promote development, as applicable
• Serve as liaison to consortia
• Test new library software/databases available from NLM and other vendors as assigned
• Assist with PubMed, IGM, Loansome Doc, and MEDLINEplus demos
• Coordinate and teach PubMed/Internet Grateful Med (IGM)/Loansome Doc/MEDLINEplus training for health professionals and Network members
• Coordinate and teach PubMed/IGM/Loansome Doc/MEDLINEplus Train-the-Trainer classes
• Provide consultation services for PubMed/IGM/Loansome Doc/MEDLINEplus
• Provide NLM with a list of national health/librarian-related meetings scheduled in region at which the NN/LM SCR can potentially exhibit
• Coordinate and attend assigned national/regional exhibits
• Write and submit articles to Network News on regional outreach funding opportunities and on on-going projects
• Assists with other duties as assigned
At a Librarian II level, this position requires an M.L.S. with a minimum of 3 years experience, including 2 years of proven advanced teaching and database skills and knowledge; excellent written, oral, teaching, and curriculum development skills; current knowledge of technologies in medical libraries; working knowledge of PubMed, Internet Grateful Med, Loansome Doc, MEDLINEplus and HTML. Knowledge of Microsoft Office, other NLM and NCBI databases, grants, subcontracts, and project evaluation is preferred. Must be able to manage multiple tasks and function in a team environment, as well as independently. A valid driver's license and travel is required.
The HAM - TMC Library is an equal opportunity and affirmative action institution providing access to employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran's status, political affiliation, or disability.
Minimum Salary: $37,000.
Position Available: Immediately.
Please fax, mail or email CV or Resumes to:
Human Resources Associate
1133 M.D. Anderson Blvd.
Houston, Texas 77030
Fax: 713-790-7052 Email: [log in to unmask]
Inquiries regarding this position can be forwarded to:
Renee Bougard, MLIS, AHIP
NN/LM South Central Region
Houston Academy of Medicine -
Texas Medical Center Library
1133 MD Anderson Blvd.
Houston TX 77030.2809
V: 713.799.7880 or