From: Susan Detwiler [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 2:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: srch: consumer understanding alt med v western med

[this was also cross posted to aiip-l. will summarize to both]

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a search to find statistics (preferable) or other
research that demonstrates whether the general public differentiates
alternative medicine from western medicine when they're looking for health
information.

In other words, do consumers specifically look for alternative medicine
threapies, or are they looking for 'health' information, and the
alternative/complementary/herbal information is just part and parcel of what
they're looking for?

My suspicion is that consumers look for therapies or cures, and don't
specifically say "I want Western or conventional medicine only" or "I want
unconventional or alternative medicine".

But how do I find out if anyone has looked at this?

Thanks in advance!

Susan

Susan M. Detwiler
The Detwiler Group