But what happens when physicians have tough cases at 3 a.m.? They will not
be able to get in the library then, since they couldn't anticipate the need.
Your approach seems like it would work well for the library user who can
schedule library time with more leeway--but direct support of clinical care
is our first priority. Having library resources unavailable off-hours gives
the message that they are NOT important for physicians to rely on, that they
should NOT be consulted in the normal course of difficult patient care
problems.

One of the first questions asked by the JCAHO to hospital librarians is
whether there is access 24 hours a day. Could you have security let people
in, or have a designated place where a person could get a key, after signing
a log? We had such an arrangement with the hospital switchboard people,
since someone was on duty 24 hrs, and they happened to be physically close
to us. People are much less likely to walk off with materials if they have
signed their name to the log of off-hours library users.

--Jeannine

Jeannine Cyr Gluck              [log in to unmask]
Director of the Medical Library           (860)647-6853
Eastern Connecticut Health Network     fax(413)383-7803
71 Haynes Street
Manchester, CT 06040