Hi Sharon,

I am also a small one person library. I do an introduction to the library
during new employee orientation and I tell them that if they need access to
the library during hours when I am not there to call and I will make an
appointment to be here. I have no problem with that. For a year I had an
open door policy, but when I discovered several very expensive books missing
I had to lock my doors. If I come in during off hours, then I just adjust my
daytime hours. I get here very early in the morning and most late night
workers can come in after their shift to work in the library. Sometimes, I
get here at 7AM and find several people waiting.

Sue

Sue Ben-Dor, Medical Librarian
Horton Medical Center
60 Prospect Avenue