Below is the proposed "Policy for Assigning Names on UVM's Web Site," which would replace the "Acceptable Names in the uvm.edu Domain" portion of the DNS policy at http://cit.uvm.edu/?Page=./policies/dnspolicy.html&dir=./policies .

Comments should be sent to [log in to unmask]

UVM Web Team (Deb Goller, Meredith Woodward King, Tatianna Salcedo)

In all cases, these three criteria apply:

1. Names will be in good taste and will not diminish the UVM name.
2. The use of externally provided DNS is not supported, may not function properly, and is discouraged. Purchasing names from a commercial organization (i.e., Register.com) is not allowed. The use of a .com address implies COMmercial use which is against the UVM usage policy on "Commercial Use." A publicized, named host with "attractive" content may lead to high-traffic levels which interfere with network performance. Such interference is against the UVM usage policy on "Interfering with System Performance" and may result in a loss of network privileges. Rarely, there may be some legitimate purposes for external DNS provision. Contact [log in to unmask] if you have questions.
3. Departments affiliated with the College of Medicine should contact the college's technical services staff, Michael Caputo and Michael Moody, at [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]

Introduction

UVM departments and organizations should maintain their Web sites under departmental accounts, and not those of individual staff, faculty or students. This practice enable more than one person in a department to access the account and also protects the department and preserves the Web site once an individual leaves the university.

Option #1: Default Name (With Tilde)

UVM's primary Web server is www.uvm.edu (zoo), on which UVM departments and organizations may publish pages. Following standard World Wide Web practices for Internet service providers (ISPs), UVM's default URL for zoo account Web pages uses a tilde (~). Thus, the default URL for departments and organizations is:

www.uvm.edu/~acctname

where "acctname" is the 4-8-character login name for the Zoo account.

Option #2: Name Without Tilde

UVM departments and organizations on www.uvm.edu (zoo) also may seek to drop the tilde from their URLs, changing from www.uvm.edu/~departmentalname to www.uvm.edu/departmentalname . Requests for such a change should be sent to the UVM Web Team at [log in to unmask].

Departments hosting their Web pages on other servers also may be considered for this naming convention.

UVM has certain naming conventions for such URLs. In order to register a "no-tilde" (no ~) URL at UVM, the URL name must follow this standardization, in order to maintain consistency on the UVM Web site, to make URLs easier for Web users and to adhere to the university's broader Web strategy:

1. Names should not include capital letters, and no spaces, hyphens, dashes, apostrophes, underscores or other non-alphabetical characters.
2. Departmental and organizational URLs should reflect, as much as possible, the full name of the department or organization and avoid using the eight-characters-or-less user ID, unless it makes sense to do so, ie: www.uvm.edu/microbiology (instead of www.uvm.edu/microbio) and www.uvm.edu/english would make sense. In addition, we encourage you to use acronyms only if they are readily understood by audiences inside and outside of UVM.
3. Departments offering services marketed toward a more universal audience and reflecting not only departmental but university concerns should work with the Web Team to create an appropriate name. In such cases, the name should reflect university, not departmental concerns, ie: www.uvm.edu/news, instead of universitycommunications.uvm.edu; www.uvm.edu/calendar, instead of universitycommunications.uvm.edu/calendar.
4. Name requests may be rejected in order to reserve it for university-wide use or to avoid confusion for users (in cases where the name could be misconstrued for other departmental, organizational or university-wide sites).
5. Any name that might diminish UVM's academic mission or reputation may be rejected.

A Word about Virtual Domains

In order to build consistency on the UVM Web site and to minimize the impact on UVM's system programmers, the university limits the number of virtual domains, such as http://departmentname.uvm.edu. All such names will be run by the Web Team to conform with UVM's naming conventions policy.

For user-friendly URLs, it is suggested that departments and organizations use the "Name Without a Tilde" option and follow the suggested standardized naming process, above.

A Word about Departmental Servers

Departments seeking to run their own servers should contact [log in to unmask] Server names will be run by the Web Team to conform with UVM's naming conventions policy.

A Word about Subdomains

For UVM's policy on subdomains, see http://cit.uvm.edu/?Page=./policies/dnspolicy.html&dir=./policies.

Personal Web pages/sites on www.uvm.edu (zoo) will remain www.uvm.edu/~yourname and are not eligible for any other naming options.

UVM departments and organizations are highly encouraged to maintain their Web sites under departmental accounts, and not those of individual staff, faculty or students.

Introduction

Occasionally, UVM may agree to provide a Web site for a professional or other non-profit organizations as a community service.*

To do so, the non-UVM organization:

1. Needs a UVM department or organization to sponsor its Web site on zoo as part of the UVM department's pages (or a separate zoo account; see #3). The UVM department must submit the Form to Sponsor a Professional or Non-Profit Organizational Web Site and/or Zoo Account.
2. Must keep its site, via the UVM sponsor, on the www.uvm.edu (zoo) server, in order to provide maximum security. All sites must be maintained by UVM employees or students; members of the non-UVM group should not be given access. If there is a compelling reason for the site to be maintained outside of zoo, contact [log in to unmask]. Such outside servers must abide by all of UVM's security regulations.
3. If needed, the UVM department may sponsor a separate zoo account for the professional or other non-profit organization. All such accounts ultimately must be approved by the director of Computing and Information Technology (CIT). UVM reserves the right to discontinue support of such sponsored Web sites at any time for any reason.
4. Needs approval of the sponsoring UVM's department/organization's chair, director or assignee.
5. Needs to have a clear connection to UVM's academic mission.
6. Should be prepared to cover costs if significant UVM resources are required.
7. Cannot include partisan politics or commercial material on its UVM-provided site.
8. Should include an acknowledgment on all pages that the Web space is provided by the University of Vermont, by adding a piece of HTML code (provided by UVM).

Naming Option

The address will be www.uvm.org/xxxxxxxxx (with xxxxxxxx as name of the organization). URL names will be run by the Web Team to conform with UVM's naming conventions policy.

Names must follow this standardization, in order to maintain consistency on the UVM Web site, to make URLs easier for Web users and to adhere to the university's broader Web strategy:
1. Names should not include capital letters, and no spaces, hyphens, dashes, apostrophes, underscores, or other non-alphabetical characters.
2. Names should reflect, as much as possible, the full name of the organization and avoid using the eight-characters-or-less user ID, unless it makes sense to do so.
3. Name requests may be rejected in order to reserve names for university-wide use or to avoid confusion for users (in cases where the name could be misconstrued for other departmental, organizational or university-wide sites in the uvm.org or uvm.edu domains).
4. Names that might diminish UVM's academic mission or reputation may be rejected.

* UVM faculty, staff and students do not need to follow the above approval process to sponsor off-campus organizations on their personal Web sites. However, general UVM computer usage policy (see http://www.uvm.edu/~uvmppg/ppg/cit/compuse.htm)  applies.