I think everyone responding to this had some good ideas.  If you ran a
once-a-month IT central clearinghouse, and included the Self-Assessment
Skills Survey (which was developed by a group from CIT, Training & Dev. and
some other people) or some assessment tool, and gave people a list of
training resources as well as some hands on training like calendar and
email it would be very helpful.  The Self Assessment Survey is on the UT&D
Website and anyone can use it:

<http://www.uvm.edu/~training/?Page=tech_survey.html>

Training resources should include any CIT-sponsored training, UT&D
training, CTL, Media Services, Distance Learning Lab and I am sure there
are other places that provide IT training to UVM employees too.