On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Chris Moran wrote:

> I don't know much about it, other than it's easy to do, but is perhaps
> sniffing a bigger internal security risk than most? What can
> individual users on campus do to prevent their ethernet trasmissions
> from being sniffed for all the goodies?

Use encrypted services when available.  Use SSH instead of telnet.  Use
sftp instead of ftp.  Use https when entering passwords.  Use imap-ssl or
pop-ssl instead of just imap or pop.  All of these encrypting versions of
services are available on Zoo.

Also, the move away from shared networks towards switched networks will
help a lot.  Think about asking for a network upgrade away from shared
ethernet for your department if security is a big deal to you.

mga.