People, if stupid or clumsy enough, can hurt themselves doing anything,
whether you consider it a sport or a lesiure activity...I have a friend who
injured himself so badly playing golf that he had to drop out of school for
a semester because he couldn't walk to class. He was angry after a bad shot
and hit a fence with his club, causing the head to break off, spin back and
take a chunk of flesh out of his leg (scarily, he skis too).  I don't
really think risk is any part of the definition of a sport and absence of
significance risk doesn't make it a leisure activity.  For example I ride
horses- when I am training and competing and really working at it I call it
a sport, but when I go out with my 20 year old hacking around that is my
leisure activity even though there is no less risk involved and maybe even
more as natural hazards and cars and things are brought into the picture.
Skiing for some people is a leisure activity- they want to go out and
relax, and to some who want to push themselves it is a sport.  I think it
is not about the activity but how the activity is perceived.

At 10:20 PM 4/18/01 -0400, you wrote:
>> From: Marc Guido <[log in to unmask]> opined:
>>
>> About
>> the only risk of injury playing golf is taking a tee shot to the head or
>> rolling your cart on a sidehill.
>
>Oh, yeah?  Golf is to a high risk "sport."  Consider:
>
>1.  Cirrhosis of the liver
>2.  Lardosis of the butt
>3.  Golf cart steering-wheel elbow
>4.  Sand in eye from sand trap
>5.  High suicide rate from having to associate with other golfers.
>
>Just for starters.
>
>JMK

Abigail Dimock
Department of Orthopaedics