James Michael Kusack wrote:

> > Marc Guido opined:
> > About the only risk of injury playing golf is taking a tee shot to the
> head or
> > rolling your cart on a sidehill.
>
> Oh, yeah?  Golf is to a high risk "sport."  Consider:
>
> 1.  Cirrhosis of the liver
> 2.  Lardosis of the butt
> 3.  Golf cart steering-wheel elbow
> 4.  Sand in eye from sand trap
> 5.  High suicide rate from having to associate with other golfers.
>
> Just for starters.

You jest, but consider this. Golf can be deadlier than skiing. Long long
lawyer drivel follows about the true hazards of golf...

Back in my former career, I represented the driver of a golf cart whose
passenger's estate sued the driver, the cart manufacturer, the distributor and
basically any available entity for the death of the passenger. The death was
allegedly caused by a sudden sharp turn by the driver, combined of course with
the "defectiveness" of the cart, i.e. the cart did not have a seatbelt or some
other "foolproof" restraint for the passenger, or suitable warnings like IF
YOU STAND UP AS THE DRIVER MAKES A TURN, YOU MIGHT FALL OUT, BREAK YOUR HIP
AND DIE.

The passenger, over 75  years old, and the driver were not acquainted prior to
this golf game. The evidence was that as the driver crested a hill so the
passenger could assess a blind shot over the hill, the passenger fell out as
he stood up for a better look (according to the driver). It helped me out that
in the hospital prior to the passenger's death, my good f riend's father (who
later refused to testify), ironically a local golf pro, was a heart patient in
the next bed and actually spoke to the man who told him he stood up in the
cart before falling. There were apparently medical complications and the
unfortunate passenger died and the lawsuit was filed by the estate.

Anyway, we got the driver out of the case on a free pass, although the cart
manufacturer's insurance carrier and one other paid the estate something like
$100k. This was in 1995.

The highlight of the case preparation for me was during the deposition of the
plaintiff's expert engineering witness, Dr. Wiener (supposed to be pronounced
Whiner, but repeatedly addressed as Dr. Weener by my co-counsel), when Dr.
Weener showed a video reenactment he had prepared for the case using a golf
cart, an anthropormorphic dummy as passenger and himself as driver. The tape
showed Weener driving the cart with his hand on the dummy's lap, a point we
exploited of course during the deposition. As Weener made a sharp left turn
(and removed his groping hand from the dummy's lap), the lifelike dummy, now
headless, flew out of the cart. When the case settled, I grabbed the video, it
was so funny.

Sooo, the moral of the story is golf can be very risky.

And remember, there's a plaintiff around every corner. And a lawyer willing to
represent him. And a doctor willing to treat him. And a chiropractor willing
to treat him more. And an expert witness willing to testify on his behalf. And
an insurance company willing to pay to settle.

-Brunoeverthecynic