From the ANA website, one of the sources of nursing news (see
http://www.nursingworld.org/news/ananews.htm#HHS )

HHS Study Links Patient Outcomes and Nurse Staffing
4/25/01
The results of a recent study conducted by the U.S. Department of Health and
Human Services (HHS), Health Resources and Services Administration are
consistent with ANA research regarding patient outcomes and nurse
staffing -- patients fare better when RNs play a significant role in the
staffing mix. The HHS study revealed that strong and consistent
relationships were found between hospital nurse staffing levels and five
patient outcomes - urinary track infections, shock, length of stay, upper
gastrointestinal bleeding and pneumonia. These adverse outcomes were reduced
by 3 to 12 percent when there were higher numbers of RNs in the staffing
mix. A decrease of 2 to 25 percent of these adverse outcomes also was
associated with higher staffing levels of all nurses. These results are
consistent with the ANA study "Nurse Staffing and Patient Outcomes in the
Inpatient Hospital Setting,"
http://www.nursingworld.org/pressrel/2000/st0504.htm, which revealed that
adverse conditions, similar to the ones used in the HHS study, markedly
decreased with higher levels of RN involvement in patient care.

For a copy of the HHS study, go to www.bhpr.hrsa.gov/dn/staffstudy.htm.

This government study is by the authors listed...

This should be it - Peg

Margaret (Peg) Allen, MLS-AHIP   mailto:[log in to unmask]
Library Consultant http://home.earthlink.net/~pegallenmls/
Resource Librarian Consultant for Cinahl Information Systems, Inc.
     http://www.cinahl.com/
Library Consultant, Northern and Southwest Wisconsin Area Health Education
Centers, http://www.nahec-wi.org/ and
http://www.medsch.wisc.edu/ahec/swahec/
PO Box 2, 308 Kann,  Stratford, WI 54484-0002
(715)687-4976                          Fax:(715)687-4976