I have been concerned for some time that the debate about cloning is
obscuring the more important issue of redesign of humans through germ line
modification.  Cloning has dramatic value because it resonates with the
movies, but deliberate genetic modification of humans has the potential to
dramatically alter who we are in future generations.  It also raises the
spectacle of differential access on the basis of wealth.  I am not an expert
on molecular genetics, but think that there needs to be a full and open
public debate about what sorts of genetic changes we find acceptable, what
the consequences of such changes may be, under what circumstances they should
be done and who has access to them.