I am forwarding an odd request I received from one of our doctors, in hopes
of finding a solution!

The MD is a Civil War re-enactor.  He is looking for descriptions/pictures
of medicine and medicine bottles used during the civil war.  He wants to
know more about various compounds that are not in the PDR anymore, such as
Acaciae pulvis, Extractum zingiberis fluidum, Quiniae sulphas, etc.  The
list he gave me also includes common things like Chloroform, Spiritus
frumenti (whiskey), and Vinum album (sherry).
We hope to find a comprehensive resource, rather than information about each
compound, but any suggestions will be appreciated.

Many many thanks.

Steven Mayo, MLIS
Medical Librarian
Flower Hospital