I have a physician who says she saw a review article or meta analysis which had several trials about the use of nitroglycerin or nitrates for acute anterior MI. I've searched Medline back to 1989. This was supposed to limit damage especially in large MIs.  The article I found below might have the item in the references, but before I order it, I thought the list might be able to help me find the original study since the physician says this is not the one she saw.  Please contact me directly.  TIA.
Unique Identifier
    97119621
PubMed Identifier
    8960444
Authors
    Yusuf S. Anand S. Avezum A Jr. Flather M. Coutinho M.
Institution
    Division of Cardiology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
Title
    Treatment for acute myocardial infarction. Overview of randomized clinical trials. [Review] [77 refs]
Source
    European Heart Journal. 17 Suppl F:16-29, 1996 Dec.
Abstract
    This review summarizes the results of several pharmacological interventions that have been evaluated in the
    management of acute myocardial infarction. Of these, thrombolytic therapy, aspirin, beta-blockers and
    angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors have all been proven to reduce mortality risk and the latter three classes
    of drugs have also been shown to reduce morbidity. Routine use of heparin or nitrates is not recommended
    although they may be useful in specific circumstances such as post-infarction angina or large infarcts. Drugs that
    have as yet not been shown to have a role in the routine management of acute myocardial infarction include
    Class I antiarrhythmic agents, magnesium and calcium antagonists. Management of patients with acute
    myocardial infarction can now be appropriately based on the evidence generated from well conducted
    randomized clinical trials and appropriate therapeutic choices based on such information can be expected to
    reduce their morbidity and mortality risks. [References: 77]

Marilyn Teolis                                Email:[log in to unmask]
Baptist Hospital                              Phone (615)284-5373
2000 Church St.                             (800)826-9998 x 5373  (Outside TN)
Nashville TN 37236                       Fax:(615)284-5861