On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 14:55:48 -0600, Marc Chrusch <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I've always felt that the blacks at MRG are compressed into the single
>rating yet encompass a fairly wide range of difficulty. I think that
>Paradise, Fall Line, and Creamery are all significantly more difficult than
>Canyon or Lower Antelope.

Which is why the warning signs are fair.  Nothing wrong with marking
dangerous terrain so people can make an informed judgment.  Trail ratings
don't mean much outside the world of grooming, anyway.  Maybe the yellow
warning triangle would be a good blanket designation for "it's your problem"
trails. Of course, my lawyer friends have taught me that the more you do to
help people, the more liable you are when they kill themselves.

"If you have to ask...then no, you can't."

Anyway, this list knows that "thin cover", "not-a-ski-trail", "danger", "!",
"cliff area", etc. really means "good skiing!"

-Matt
http://www.angio.net/~reagan/

...I wonder if the Birdcage cliff could be classified as an "attractive
nuisance?"  :)