Jonathan Shefftz <[log in to unmask]>

> As for the WA gentleman to whom Dana refers, he does indeed ski
lift-served
> about once a week when the lifts are turning.  And he's skied at least
once
> a month for many, many years straight.  So although I personally witnessed
> his Diamir breakage #1 (I can e-mail you a picture of his amazing field
> repair), given his additional weight, and given his additional ski time, I
> figure that my Diamirs with 74 days on them still have lots of life
> remaining.

He told me all 3 failures were different. (One was wear & breakage of the
toe-centering mechanism- I haven't inspected mine to see what he was
referring to. I don't recall what the 3rd failure was- some plastic breakage
I think.) He does ski all year, probably _tours_ 100days/year, and he cranks
'em hard at times (jump-turns down chutes with pack full o' gear), but his
lift served mileage is pretty low- not sure if he uses his touring gear
skiing lifts- rather figured he didn't (could be wrong, often am.)  I figure
the fact that fully geared, he outweighs you & me by a hundredweight factors
heavily into his breakage problem.

Some folks are just harder on gear than others- his issues didn't steer me
away from the Diamir.  Watching your general technique on cruisin' terrain
compared to his, your race carves put a lot less stress & wear on the
binding than his lunges & heel-jams- he doesn't ski them centered on the
sweet spot much. (That reminds me- gotta drop that print of you layin' 'em
on edge on Adams4 in the mail- a decent shot if I may say so myself!) I
doubt I'll ever break mine, and you probably won't break yours, but I'd bet
Matt Duffy could trash a pair in one huck! :-)  It'll be curious to see how
much extra beef they put in the new freeride version.

dana

_____________ ________ __
__(    Tele till you drop