Skip King <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Bear in mind that trail ratings are relative reflections of difficulty
> compared to other trails at *that mountain* - not necessarily those
> of other mountains.

This is true (don't know about the Timberline trail).  The green trail from
the former top of Ascutney has done in many beginners & intemediates over
the years, but it is indeed the easiest trail down from the top (but much
more difficult than other green trails at Ascutney.) My barely-skiing
brother-in-law still brings this up from time to time, chiding me for having
taken him up there on a boilerplate day. It took him 2 hours and 14k curses,
4 bloody knuckles and 5 bruises to get down. (Of course the numbers keep
creeping upward over time- no historical accuracy implied. :-)

dana

_____________ ________ __
__(    Tele till you drop