Skip King wrote:

> That's one way of looking at it.  Here's another:  a ski area wants to serve its guests and make them happy.  It spends quite a lot of money in order to do so.  Ski trails are, essentially, assets of the ski area.  If an asset is underutilized because it isn't adequately serving the customer, you
> make changes accordingly.  That trail works  now, and is one of the most popular trails at the mountain.  Meanwhile, the mountain has built a lot of terrain which is far more challenging than that one steep pitch... including terrain that helps people improve their skills.

Yeah, I actually considered your counterargument before I sent my email.  And then rejected it.  People have a history of not knowing what is good/best for them.  And while more most difficult trails may have been constructed, the opportunity for a small challenge, a small opportunity for excitement
and, yes, even fear (which, after having skied the trail, becomes pride and exhiliration) has been removed.  Besides, accepting capitalism shouldn't have to mean the abandonment of moral values.  And character.  Which is what the flattening of the trail results in - character of the trail and
character of the skier (in a Calvin's Dad's sense).

Ben K.

PS.  I forgot the ";-)" after my earlier skier's license proposal.