Adrenochrome <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> A savings reputed to be $8 million a year is hardly pocket change. I think
> Volant is made in the US, and then there is Maine's "The Claw" though
> they're admittedly one of the tiniest players in the business.  I think
> there are some Canadian-made XC skis (Karhu? Maybe others too), and Fels
is
> a Canuck alpine player that may make a return this year.  Yostmark and
Voile
> in the tele world, not sure where either of those are actually made...

Yostmark bought the design & the molds from Elan, who manufactures them
under contract. I'm not sure who builds Voile's slim offerings, but I'd be
astounded if they were made on this continent.  There may be a few boutique
players left in the US (is Evolution Ski still around?) but Volant is the
only N.American ski manufacturer that has any market penetration.
Karhu/Merrell/Trak still holds its own in the BC/XC world, true enough, but
they hardly dominate their market and not all of their products are built in
N. America.

Like any high-labor low-tech manufacured product, it's no surprise that in
volume, they're cheaper to build in a lower cost labor market. In the grand
scheme of things skis are a fairly low-volume product with a fickle &
seasonal market, which may be why it took this long for the manufacturing to
move east.  Few of us have ever owned a US-built television, and few of our
children may ever remember skiing on N.American built skis.

dana

_____________ ________ __
__(    Tele till you drop