Denis Bogan wrote:

> Girardelli?  He is one of a short list who could credibly make this claim
> but his claim is based more on longevity than anything else.

His longevity was based on his superiority.  If he hadn't been so good, he
wouldn't have been able to stick around so long.  He could beat the Mahres &
Stenmark and Tomba and Aamodt (sp?), which means he had to ski entirely
different styles.  In fact, IICR, he pioneered slalom skiing technique in the
late 80's.

>  And the
> dismissive "Oh, there were Phil and Steve".  Come on.

That's referring to world-class racers using K2's, and so far as I know,
they're the only ones.

>  My choice would be
> Phil & Steve's choice, Stenmark.

Didn't have to compete against the likes of Zurbriggen (sp?) & Tomba et al. (&
there were a mess of great racers in Girardelli's time, and yet he managed 5
World Cup overall titles).

>  But what about Stein,

While one of the greats,I don't think he raced as long (and as successfully)
as Girardelli did.  But correct me if I'm wrong.  Though for his all-round
impact on skiing, Stein may very well be greater (I would argue that he was).

> or Toni Matt (18 downhills, 18 wins).

Too short a career.

>  How about the 3 race masters Toni Sailer and Jean
> Claude Killy?  Will there ever be another who can dominate at slalom, GS,
> and DH?

See above comments about Stenmark, & about Girardelli winning all those
overalls.  Girardelli may not of dominated, but he was always a top favorite
(it often seemed as though if he didn't win, he finished 2nd or 3rd).

>  How about Alf Engen.

Who???

>  Where do Tomba and The Hermanator fit in all this?

Tomba was too much of a (self-admitted) whose to do Super-G or Downhill, and
The Hermanator sucks at slalom.

Ben K.