Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 14:54:00 -0400
From: Ben Zimmerman <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: Laura Hale <[log in to unmask]>, bzimmerm <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Technology Training

Good Afternoon,

My name is Ben Zimmerman and I am an Americorps*VISTA working at UVM.  I
apologize in advance to a moderately lengthy message but would very much
appreciate a minute of your time to read it through and consider the
presented opportunities for you and your students.

Two of my goals for the year are to connect the University population
with the greater Burlington community and encourage the integration of
Service Learning into courses. One way in which I am working towards
these goals is by teaming up with Laura Hale, a *VISTA member of Team
Tech of the United Way of Chittenden County. Laura is working to
establish technology training for local non profit agencies.  Many non
profit agencies lag far behind the business sector in regards to
technical knowledge.  The effectiveness and efficiency of these socially
beneficial agencies suffer as a result.

I have contacted you based on the courses you teach and the likelihood
that you interact with students having the ability and knowledge to
teach technology skills through Team Tech.  Directly below is an
immediate request for training that Laura sent to me today.  If you feel
that you may have students with these skills I know Laura would
appreciate the opportunity being mentioned to them.

>Vermont Children's Aid Society is in dire need of 2 technical volunteers.  They >need someone to train 2 staff members on exporting and importing data from MS
>Excel to Access and vice versa, and they also need someone to do a short
>network consultation on connecting 2 computers together with a peer to peer
>network.  The contact person for the agency is Joann Arruda and their number
>is 655-0006.

The potential for Team Tech to be a consistent resource for non profit
technical training depends on qualified volunteers offering their time
and knowledge.  It also offers unique potential for service learning
integration into related courses.  If you are already aware of the value
of Service Learning and would like to know more about integrating it
into your courses, or if you would like to know more about the potential
benefits of Service Learning I would be happy to visit you during your
office hours.

UVM also offers a Faculty Fellows for Service Learning series that aids
professors in the process of integrating Service Learning into courses
through a series of workshops and offers participants a $1500 stipend!
For more information or to apply for this series please contact Courtney
W. Lamontagne, <[log in to unmask]>, or Chris Koliba,

I thank you for your time and wish you a wonderful day.

Cheers, Ben Zimmerman
--

Ben B. Zimmerman
Americorps*VISTA