Dearest MEDLIB-L subscribers,

Your ListMom is having a lot of trouble controlling her outrage, but it
appears we have a subscriber who is writing privately to members who post, and
offering search services for money. Several people who have posted messages to
MEDLIB have received this spam, following their posts to the list. A copy of
the spam appears below my SIG file.

So far, the person is writing privately to people who post questions to
MEDLIB, from two different addresses:

        [log in to unmask]     and

so you may want to use your email software filters.  Or, feel free to express
your feelings to this person, privately. Oh my, was that unprofessional of me?
Bad Valerie, bad, bad, bad.  Blame my behavior on my emotional reaction: I am
experiencing very serious feelings of betrayal that someone would subscribe to
our gentle group and use MEDLIB-L  for this purpose. I have been waiting to
issue this message until I cooled down a bit, but several subscribers have
written to me to express their feelings, so I decided the need for this
message was more immediate.

This person is not a medical librarian or even an information professional, by
the way - but someone looking to market a business. How do I know this?  If
you are so inclined, experiment with a new feature of Google, which enables a
search on groups, and you will see that the person at the [log in to unmask]
email address has spammed some usenet groups, as well. I also used the search
engine at compuserve.com, since that is the person's domain. Very, very busy,
this person has been...

Please be assured that we will do what we can to eliminate this abuse.

Virtually,
Valerie
Coordinator, MEDLIB-L

Valerie G. Rankow, MLS, AIIP
Professional Information Services
Research, Writing & Consultation
"Librarians are the secret masters of the universe.
They control information. Don't ever piss one off."
       --Spider Robinson,  _The Callahan Touch_

THIS IS THE MESSAGE BEING SENT: