Hi Jay,

I am also not draft-worthy (though the LASIK on my near-sightedness has made my flat-footedness a much less valid excuse now ;>).  Been wearing orthodics since I was in middle school or early high school.. almost 10 years now..

It was a lose-lose situation for me, pretty much.  Without them, it hurt a lot.  With them, it hurt.  I used to ski without them and was sure that it was more comfortable.  Now I ski with them and I think that's more comfortable than without them.  But it doesn't change the fact that towards the end of a day, especially with a lot of pressure-intensive things like moguls, it gradually starts to hurt more.  Although, I'll admit, I don't think I get the pain I used to get.  Perhaps my new ski boots I got 3 years ago helped.  In any case, my ideal is to get custom footbeds next time I get a new pair of boots, whenever that might be.  Muy caro, but we'll see.

The orthodics are a bit of a pain to work into my boots, but I think it's well worth it.  Like I said, nowadays I'm sure that I'm better off with them in than without.

HTH

-Mike