Dave-
Thanks for the rundown.  If its not too much trouble, can you send me the
name of your guy in Boston?  Although I'm in CT, he may have an associate
around here.

Through some trial & error, I have found that although I don't often get the
serious arch cramping, I get lots of collateral pain, similar to sciatica.
My orthopod tells me that its solely (pun fully intended) due to being
flatfooted.  When I hike, I do notice a huge difference when I have my "over
the counter" arch supports than when I don't.  Also, during the summer,
while wearing Birkenstocks, I really feel the semi-blister growing. It can
really throw off my sense of proprioception, as I tend to favor one side
over the other.

Thanks again for the information.

JP