Leigh asks:

From: http://www.howtoski.net/sub_boots4.htm

How to do it. The knee is the key to analyzing your stance. Stand with your
ski boots, on a perfectly flat surface. Find the center of the mass of the
knee (not the center of the kneecap necessarily) and make a mark. You can
buy or use calipers that will give you an accurate measurement of the
center of mass of the knee, or you can do it by eye. Once you have made a
mark at the knee mass center, stand with your feet slightly apart. Using a
carpenter's framing square, line up the mark you have made on your knee
with the toe of your ski boot. Look at the toe of the boot and you will see
a ridge in the center of the toe from when it was molded. With a ruler make
a mark one quarter of an inch from the boot center towards the big toe on
each boot. Ideally, the straight line of the framing square from your knee
should line up with this mark when standing on a perfectly flat surface.
(This is the only accurate way I have found to measure cant.) I know it's
hard to believe, but one degree or even one-half degree can make a big
difference in your skiing. If you are inside that one-quarter inch mark you
need canting to build up the inside edge under the binding. Outside of that
mark build up the outside edge. Adjustments can be made with cant or
alignment strips that look like a wedge and are thicker on one side than
the other and are accurate to one-quarter of one degree. The question is
whether you have been properly measured and if you know you need the cant
strip on the inside or outside edge.

There is additional info on that page, including the opinion that the
platform devices that some shops use really don't work. The other pages are
worth a look, too. Also, there's a bit of discussion at:
http://www.snowind.com/pages/balancing.htm
The author of this site also recommends reading "The Athletic Skier".

One thing that comes out is that what many people refer to as canting
adjustments are really part of the bigger picture of alignment issues
(sometimes called "ski balancing"). From a different page on howtoski.net:
"Alignment encompasses five areas and consists of:  Having the right
(lateral) type of boot  Proper sizing  The right fit  Custom insoles
Canting or "alignment strips' This five-part process is designed to
eliminate any imbalance and put you in a "neutral" position so you are
capable of equal edging from both skis."

HTH

-Marc