Dear Adriana,
                 what a great position!   I am a post-doc at Princeton
University, in the USA in the dept of Geosciences.  I work with TC Onstott
on the Witwatersrand deep subsurface microbiology project.  We go to depths
of 3.6km below the surface to look for biological life in the Wits basin (>
2 billion years old). We use molecular and classical techniques to identify
novel bugs so I have been doing a lot of environmental micro this year.  My
PhD was micro and analytical chemistry based, a main focus being to develop
a GC/MS that and IRMS system that could be coupled so we could identify
compounds from complex mixtures and gain compound specific isotope ration
data from a single chromatographic injection.  I worked closely with
Micromass on this part and am therefore very strong in GC-MS and GC -IRMS.
Part of our collaboration isolates PLFA (Sue Pfieffner and co-workers) and
analyses them in order to gain insight into the type of bug present, so I
have some knowledge of lipid biomarker work.

My work here at Princeton is related to the astrobiology project in that we
get supplemental funding from NASA and I think astrobiology is a really
exciting area of research.
I co-ordinate the field aspect of our project so am used to working with
large teams (6-10 people) and co-ordinating research efforts in very
challenging environmental circumstances. My post-doc ends next year, and
your work sounds fascinating and can maybe overlap with our group.  We have
access to water and rock samples that have been geologically isolated for
up to 1 billion years, and I have been trying to study the organic carbon
present by concentrating low DOC with SPE cartridges, and then analysing
them with GC-MS to look for biological by-products.

Anyway, I wanted to touch base with you and introduce myself.  Could you
tell me a few things,

Should I apply? I feel I am very qualified to work on your project, it
sounds excellent. I am really excited as it seems very complimentary to the
work we do here, and I feel there is lots of room for later collaborations
with the South African mining infrastructure already in place etc.
when would the starting date be?
Are your salary details in Australian dollars, I guess they are but I can
dream that in fact it is US dollars...........
What is the cost of living in Australia?

I hope to hear from you soon, feel free to call me at home or at work, or
e-mail me,

james

James Hall, Ph.D.,
Dept. of Geosciences