We have been doing CFC analyses in our lab. A Swiss group helped us get
started. You
might e-mail my lab manager Dan Snow about CFC's.

Glen Martin

                    R D DESHPANDE
                    <[log in to unmask]       To:     [log in to unmask]
                    RNET.IN>              cc:
                    Sent by: Stable       Subject:     Requesting
                    Isotope                information about readymade
                    Geochemistry           columns available for separation
                    <ISOGEOCHEM@LIS        of CFC-11, CFC-12 and CFC-113
                    T.UVM.EDU>

                    11/08/01 05:18
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to Stable
                    Isotope
                    Geochemistry

Dear All,
                I am trying to setup a Gas Chromatography laboratory for
analysing dissolved CFCs(11,12 and 113) in natural waters using following
analyitical configuration.

Trace GC-2000/ ECD/purge and trap/Packed column/Ar-CH4 carrier
gas/Nitrogen stripping gas.

Separation column: 3m of 1/8" OD SS column packed with 80/100 mesh Porasil
C in a coil.

Precolum: 15 cm length of tube with same material in coil.

Preconcentration column:  20 cm length of 1/8"(O.D) SS tubing packed with
Porasil C -Porapak T and glass bids.

I WOULD BE OBLIDGED IF SOME ONE CAN GUIDE ME WHICH ARE THE READY MADE
COLUMNS best suited for this application and AVAILABLE IN MARKET FOR
SEPARATING cfcs (11,12 and 113). Also I would appreciate if you can share
your experience about purge and trap system of separating CFCs from water,
the precautions to be taken and improvised techniques in practice.

Regards

R.D.Deshpande

Scientist D
Oceanography & Climate Studies Area
Earth Sciences Division
Physical Research Laboratory
Navrangpura
Ahmedabad 380 009
INDIA

Phone : ++91-79-6302129 Ext. 4260/4262/4270
Fax   : ++91-79-6301502
Email : [log in to unmask]