On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Chris Moran wrote:

> The answer these days is simply, who is using your information that
> they FOCED you to give in ways they didn't inform you they would? Or worse
> yet, they will use however they damn well please. If in fact the Alumni
> Association is using our info (which I believe they are), theyare
> violating any semblance of trust they may have ever had.

The Alumni page points out that they will provide your information to
third-parties in order to provide you with University 'branded' goods and
services.  They also claim that part of the agreement with these vendors
is that your information will not be used in any other way.  The person
who contacted me was very helpful, and removed my name their list.

I usually assume that my information will be used, unless I see otherwise
(and then I just figure they aren't being totally honest).  I don't mind
this, especially if I can benefit from it ;)  The ability to opt out is
nice though.