Subject: PROGRAM INFORMATION: January Satellite Town Meeting 01/15/02 -
Message #169

****************************
January Satellite Town Meeting
"Testing for Results: Using Assessment
to Measure Effectiveness and Drive Instruction"
Tuesday, January 15, 2002 8-9 PM EASTERN
***********************

"At the heart of the President's plan is a promise
to raise standards for all children. Since we cannot
know if we are meeting those standards unless we
measure performance, President Bush is committed to
annual assessments of student learning in the basic
subjects of reading and math. The information from
these tests will allow us to identify and reward
schools that are making progress and to intervene
in schools that are not."
- U.S. Secretary of Education Rod Paige

Raising academic standards is an important first step
towards improving our schools. We will never know,
however, if we are reaching those standards unless we
measure student performance. Test score data can help
schools, as a whole, to improve. Communities with high
standards and challenging tests have teachers and school
leaders who use achievement scores to identify specific
objectives that their students are, or are not, mastering.

For example, some schools might learn from test scores
that they are teaching math effectively but are struggling
with teaching writing. This information can help schools
decide to spend their money on staff training in effective
writing instruction. Test score data allow schools to make
decisions based on facts rather than guesses. Teachers in
those communities can then focus on filling in the gaps.
The 3 Rs for 21st Century success are quickly becoming
Rigor, Relevance and Results.

Secretary Paige and his guests could explore the
following themes:

*How can we improve academic rigor and results in our classrooms?

*What makes data useful?

*How can principals, teachers, and parents to better understand
and use data?

*What are the most effective ways that assessment can drive
curriculum refinement/development?

*How can test information empower parents to make better
decisions for their children's education?

*What information should parents, teachers, administrators, and
policymakers have to make improvements in our educational system?

*What resources are available to build effective accountability systems?

** PLEASE CALL IN DURING THE PROGRAM OR EMAIL US YOUR QUESTIONS **

*********************
REGISTER to Access
Satellite Coordinates
*********************

To better serve you, downlink sites MUST register
before receiving satellite coordinates for our free programming.

*       To access our ON-LINE REGISTRATION SYSTEM,
visit http://registerevent.ed.gov and register for the
monthly show OR select the "SERIES OPTION" to register
the entire 2001-2002 Town Meeting season.

*       If you are uncertain if you have registered for a
specific Town Meeting or the series, enter your
username and password after you have selected the
registration button. The system will indicate if you
have registered or it will prompt you to register for
the option of your choice.

* Upon registration, simply return to the description
of this month's Town Meeting and use your username
and password to access the coordinates. Do not hesitate
to e-mail [log in to unmask] OR call
800-USA-LEARN if you experience any problems
accessing the coordinates or need assistance.

******************************
Free Help Desk
Ensure You Can Downlink the Satellite Town Meeting
******************************

We are offering free technical assistance to
help position satellite dishes to receive the
KU or C Band transmission. This will help you
ensure you can watch the Satellite Town Meeting!

WHO SHOULD TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS SERVICE?
* If you have experienced difficulty downlinking
the Satellite Town Meeting just once or periodically
* If you want to ensure you have dish adjusted
in the proper location prior to the test time
* If you are uncertain about the coordinates,
or unable to locate them

IS THERE A COST?
No, there is no cost. This is a free service
provided by the US Department of Education to
ensure our customers can downlink the Satellite
Town Meetings. We only require that you be
registered for the Town Meeting. If you are
not registered, please hit the "Registration
Homepage" button on the top of this page.

WHEN CAN YOU CALL?
The desk is available ONE WEEK PRIOR,
during work days, 9am - 5pm Eastern.
The desk will also be available all day on 01/15/02,
the day of the Satellite Town Meeting broadcast.
On that day ONLY you will be able to receive
assistance until 9pm Eastern, when the broadcast
is over.

PLEASE have the make and model of the receiver
handy to help the technicians assist you better.

WHAT IS THE PHONE NUMBER?
PHONE NUMBER IS: 954-838-0900, extension 3

*******The Satellite Town Meeting is produced in
partnership with the National Alliance of Business,
U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and the Committee for
Economic Development, with support from the Bayer
Foundation, Target Stores, Riverdeep Interactive
Learning and the Procter & Gamble Fund. Broadcast
and cable partners include Discovery Communications,
the Public Broadcasting Service, HeadsUp Network!
and Channel One. Use, duplication and distribution
of the Satellite Town Meeting is free and unrestricted.********

STM-LIST (if you have a signature block, please turn it off).
Then send it!

To access archived STM-LIST messages visit: