Thanks for all of the suggestions front- and backchannel.  I'm betting
that grinding the screws should be enough to solve the problem.  Or,
can I assume that shorter screws would have the same thread/pitch, and
therefore putting the correct screws into the existing holes should be
totally secure?

But I'm going to have a talk with the folks at the shop to see exactly
what sort of business they run.  Could learn a lot about my future
relationship with these folks.

-Matt
http://reagan.mitoc.org/