Matthew Reagan wrote:

> If anyone's figured out how to block the actual Javascript that pops
> up new browsers, I've love to know.

If you use Mozilla (or I guess Netscape 6 might count too) there are
instructions at http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla0.9.4/ on how to
disable the javascript window.open on document load/unload (so new
windows can open when you click on something, but not when a page
loads/unloads).  The instructions are close to the top of the page in
the "What's New In This Release" section.

Most of the "alternative" browsers have similar settings.  I know
OmniWeb for MacOS X does, but since I'm not sitting at my iBook I can't
tell you which preferences panel it is.

Jason