From: Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Sharon
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 7:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SKIVT-L] Back from Utah

It was everything you are reading about.

We had an epic weekend of fresh Utah champagne. It was just like in the magazines.

We arrived Friday and had sushi with some folks who drove up from Durango to get the goods. They skied Alta that day and were making us drool. We were giddy with joy with the reports of faceshots and bottomless powder. They tipped us off to go to Solitude because it was opening day and the snow had not been skied at all.

Saturday morning we got up early. Easy to get up at 5am when you are used to getting up at 7am EST. Got to Solitude before the lifts opened. It was completely untracked and fresh. We had fresh, crotch deep snow all day long, without any hiking. We did a little traversing in HoneyComb Canyon for freshies in the afternoon. When the snow is deep like that, you definitely want powder cords and you definitely want stay upright. If you go down, it is a major task to get upright again, and nearly impossible to retrieve any items that may have escaped your body. The snow was so soft and so deep that when you put your pole in, it goes all the way down, and then further down til the snow us almost at your shoulder. This makes standing up very difficult. I only had one incident when a sudden dip caused the earth to drop away and then come back up real fast as I was coming down a run-out. You need speed when it is that deep, so I was trying to keep my momentum up when I hit this gully. I only had that one incident, but my buddy wasn't so lucky. He was on brand new skis and hadn't skied at all this season. He ate a lot of snow.

Sunday we went to Alta. Another 6" of snow fell that night so there was more than enough snow there as well. At least it had a bottom to it. Made day 2 a lot easier. We were a bit sore and tired from day 1, so we were relieved it was only 6".

Monday morning it was dumping again. I was way too sore to ski before hopping on a plane, though my friend did. He said another 6-8" and it was snowing hard. Interlodge was called that night.

Another dump is in line for wed/thurs.

All in all it was the best conditions I've ever skied in my 30 yrs of skiing. Definitely a worthwhile trip I will remember forever.

Glad to hear that I've inspired others to go. DO IT! It is your duty as an American skier. Support the travel industry. Spend that tax rebate. Go where the snow is. You won't be sorry.

-Sharon