Bruno deBiasi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

[description of lone boarder in over his head deleted]

>It
> was obvious that this fellow was in over his head. He could not keep
> pace with us. I suggested that he relax and take it slowly.
>
> We did not catch up to the group of skiers to alert them to the
> boarder's plight, nor did we see any patrol members on our descent. We
> rode the gondola back up, surprised not to see the sideslipper below

[snip]

> The question then is: what should we skivt-l skiers and boarders do in a
> situation where we observe other snow sliders in over their heads on
> terrain that they appear not to be able to handle?

You did the right thing by giving words of encouragement, inviting him to
take it easy. It was in-bounds, and it's the patrol's job to sweep at the
end of the day.  Odds are the guy made it down in one piece having learned
something about where his limits are.  Had you seen a patroller you would
have notified him of the potential lost sheep, but they probably found him
anyway if he wasn't indeed already down. You need not be the shepherd, but I
understand the impulse to become one when you see someone flailing at the
end of the day.

dana

_____________ ________ __
__( Tele till you drop