-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Nick Malczyk
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2001 10:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] Moral Question

>The question then is: what should we skivt-l skiers and boarders do in >a
>situation where we observe other snow sliders in over their heads on
>terrain that they appear not to be able to handle?

Nothing.  The fact is, if you're on in-bound terrain at a ski area chances
are 99.9% that the terrain is not dangerous.  Any skier or boarder can
sideslip, stumble, slide or walk down a trail that is beyond their ability.
It may be bad style, frustrating and time consuming but it's rarely
dangerous.  Besides, it's one of those
"damned learning experiences" that teaches people to stay within their
boundaries.

On the other hand, if you encounter someone in over their head in the
backcountry where the consequences are much greater, then I think you're
morally obliged to help them out, even if they show no signs of making good
decisions.

Nick