> From: Matthew Reagan [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
> I think saving the shell for real windy conditions (or while skiing
> where full-body snow contact is likely) can solve a LOT of moisture
> problems.

Yup.  This is mostly a bc problem though.

> But adopting a "wool attitude" can get more out of the modern gear,
> especially when you can reduce the layering system to the two extremes
> of extra-breathable (wool/fleece) and extra-warm (puffy down things).

Definitely agreed.  In general, my bc layering strategy is currently
built around 2 classes: 1) thin, light, to be worn while moving and to
be considered wet and 2) dry, campwhere and warm.  Oh, and include
a shell too.

> But here's a question: anyone here a fan of vapor barriers?  Stepheson
> Warmlite is an interesting concept for those willing to manage it.

I made a promise to myself to get out my Stepheson shirt again.
Stepheson's idea of wearing vb shirts while active doesn't sit
well with me, but to be honest, I've never had the guts to try it.
Will play with it on Blue Hills dawn patrols...

In my limited experience:

VB bag liners are super efficient, but you can easily add more
cloting (they get wet) and you get cold at 2 am when you get out
to pee.

VB clothing is less efficient (more gaps) but works and has
the added bonus of being usable in camp.  VB clothing in camp
also dries out your hiking layers faster in camp (you can wear
stuff dry without chilling) and you can layer clothing on top
while in your bag.  Adds weight, though.

VB socks I use a lot for bc travel.  Dry boots are warmer, especially
in the morning.  I take them off in camp to avoid raisen foot.  David
Goodman (in other forums) has suggested the neoprene vb socks.